Saturday 6 June 2009

My ups and downs

Well, today has been a bit of a mixed bag. Got my sister's birthday present, submitted supervision reports, did weekly food shopping (or some of it, at least), and listened to some Radio 7 (there has been a little BSG and the fourth episode of the Incredible Human Journey too).

However, work has not been going so well. Again. I have these bouts of good news and bad news. The bad normally comes when I put that extra effort in - which I suppose says something fairly fundamental about research. I should know by now not to get my hopes up after I've only collected some preliminary results - but to be honest I don't think that's going to stop any time soon.

Anyway, to cheer myself up, I went out to buy a bottle of beer. Before returning with my catch, I got accosted by a homeless couple looking for money. They suggested it was for a shelter as their house in Arbury had been burnt down. Suspicious as usual (especially as they were coming from the direction of Strawberry Fair), I nevertheless gave them half what they needed. Never done that before, but they were very polite, so I decided to break my usual rule of giving to charity every time someone in the street asked from money.

Anyway, here I am, back in front of the screen, about to try Duchesse de Bourgogne beer, recommended by Cambridge Wine Merchants. Opening the bottle, I was immediately blasted by a dark oakey, slightly vinegary smell. Now, this is a 6.2% beer, significantly stronger than most (a good reason for the 25cl bottle), so I was expecting a strong aroma, but not quite that strong!

Leaving the bottle for a couple of minutes whilst I wrote this, the vinegary smell faded, leaving that strong woody aroma with wine-like aftertones. Definitely not a normal beer. Tasting the head (which has been growing very very slowly) I was for once greeted with a nice taste, not at all metallic like the vast majority of bottled (and casked, for that matter) ales. Pouring the beer into the glass, the eye is greeted by a beautiful mid-brown colour, whilst the nose again senses the more vinic notes.

I'll say it now; taking that first taste really puts most other beers to shame. Sharp, fizzy, fruity at first, with a light taste considering the strength, gradually replaced by a warm, soft lingering aftertaste, gentle on the palette. I'm not very good at describing tastes, so I'll leave it at this; extremely pleasant, and not at all like other beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. A must try - even if you don't like it!

No comments: